1. Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201 (a)(e)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears either in the signature, the acknowledgment or jurat. MCLA 565.201 (b)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging any interest in real estate shall state the marital status of any male grantors. MCLA 565.221
- The addresses of all parties must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed, assigned, encumbered or otherwise disposed of. MCLA 565.201 (a) (f)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201A, 565.203
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan must have an acknowledgment by a notary public. MCLA 565.8
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded when the instrument of conveyance states “survivor” in the grantor’s section. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- There must be sufficient space available on the document to apply the recording information or an additional page fee must be paid.
- THE DEFINITION OF A PAGE: One side of a single sheet of paper not larger than 8 1/2” x 14” with print not smaller than 8 point type (9 lines per inch), which shall be legible and on paper of not less than 13 (17 x 220500) pound weight. MCLA 565.201 (g)
- Effective on October 1st, 2016, all documents will cost $ 30.00 to record regardless of the number of pages.
- By mail to the address below:
- Crawford County Register of Deeds Office
200 W. Michigan Ave.,
Grayling, MI 49738
- By email: email@example.com
- By Fax: (989) 344-3223
- For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument $ 3.00 for each instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $ 30.00 flat fee
- To certify a recorded document $ 5.00; copies remain at $ 1.00 per page
- Recording fees are set by the Michigan Legislature. Public acts 224 through 232 of 2016 have set the new fees.
- By law this change applies to all counties in the State of Michigan except Wayne County.
Register of Deeds Office
County Clerk & Register of Deeds
Phone: (989) 344-3200
Chief Deputy Register of Deeds
Phone (989) 344-3203
Phone (989) 344-3207
200 W Michigan Ave.
Grayling, MI 49738
Phone: (989) 348-2841
Fax: (989 344-3223
Monday – Friday
8:30am – 4:30pm
(closed 12pm – 1pm for lunch)