Can I file my own motion to change custody?

June 26th, 2018

You may file your own petition, known as an In Pro Per or Pro Se (which means, essentially, “on your own”) motion. The office of the Friend of the Court will provide forms and instructions to any party who wishes to file this type of motion. However, it is important to remember that the court will still hold you to the same rules to which an attorney would be held. There may be many complex issues involved in a custody case and you may wish to have an attorney represent you. The Friend of the Court office cannot file a motion for you, nor can it provide you with an attorney.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email